So I tried to make a lemon cake loaf bread thing to kind of brighten up my day. Belgium has been very dark and dreary and without sun the last few days. So I thought something lemony would brighten it up. Yeah.. that was a total fail. So I thought well bananas never fail me, they always make whatever I am cooking with bananas in it moist and super yum all the time! So I thought yup banana cake it is.
This is a new baking method I have never tried before. You cook at a low temp. and then straight from the oven to the freezer. I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT use a glass pan for this. Glass tends to crack when exposed from hot to freezing and vice versa well from my experience anyways.
I am not a professional picture taker by any means so please don't judge the final product based on the picture. Seriously make this cake! I promise you won't regret it.
Recipe adapted by me from Mybakingaddiction
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 275°. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
2. In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter, 2 1/8 cups sugar, & cinnamon until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
5.Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Stir in banana mixture.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
8. For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
9. Spread on cooled cake.
Tips- The cake needed to bake a little longer. If you need to bake it longer set it for 10 mins at a time and continue to check. Don't over bake it will affect the moisture of the cake.