Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chicken Taquitos

So today is Cinco De Mayo. I do not really celebrate this holiday but I figure it was a good excuse to make some yummy Mexican food. I had to make the trek to Chievres Air Base today where the commissary is anyways. So I got all the supplies to make the Taquitos and when we got home my hubby opened the back of the Xterra to get our groceries out and kaplow the salsa verde I was going to use fell on the gravel and splattered all over the road. So I made a few adjustments to the recipe and I hope you will try this because it was fantastic. I did not have a lot of time today so I bought Swanson Pre Grilled chicken and then just shredded it and it was super yummy. If you have the time you can grill your own.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Ingredients-
1/3 C (3 oz) cream cheese ( I used the low fat and I used all of mine to make it more creamier)
1/4 C green salsa (I used Red Mild Salsa)
1T fresh lime juice
1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder
3 T chopped cilantro ( I couldn't find fresh so I used a jar found in the spice section)
2 T sliced green onions
2 C shredded cooked chicken ( I didn't have a lot of time so I used pre grilled chicken)
1 C grated pepperjack cheese

Small round flour tortilla
cooking spray
melted butter

Directions-

Heat oven to 425.

Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.

Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it’s soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.

Place 2-3 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If the tortillas start to crack heat them for 10 or 20 seconds in the microwave and then place under a damp paper towel or rag and that should help with that.

Once you have rolled the tortilla place seam down on the cookie sheet. Once you have all that will fit take the melted butter and brush it over the tortillas.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Bake for 15-20 mins. Keep a close eye on them because they cook fast.

Take them out and enjoy with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love love love Mexican type food and those look great!

    ReplyDelete