Monday, May 9, 2011

Pineapple Upside down cake

So after watching an episode of Desperate Housewives and watching Bree make that perfect pineapple upside down cake my husband and I both were craving one. I have never made one so I figured what a great time to try. Then I realized most recipes call for a 10 inch round circle cake pan. Of course I looked are crappy BX here at Chievres and they don't carry really any baking supplies or cake pans =( I always have to order from www.wiltons.com so I went and ordered the cake pan but then I decided to look on the economy here in Belgium and they had a 26 Centimeter round pan. Not sure if that is 10 inches or not but it looked like it so I decided to just go with it. Everything was perfect until time to flip it and a few of the pineapples stuck to the pan even after I sprayed the crap out of it with cooking spray. So I peeled them out of the pan and stuck them on the cake and waalah. You can't really tell that even happened to it is a pretty forgiving cake. My husband loved the cake and its one I will make again probably.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ingredients:

Topping:
  • 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 can (20 oz) of pineapple slices
Cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 stick butter
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 T. rum (optional)
1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. In a sauce pan over medium heat melt the brown sugar & butter until its smooth.
3. Pour into a well greased or cooking sprayed 10 inch round cake pan.
4. Take pineapple slices and put them on top of caramel as in the picture below. You can also put cherries in the middles if you so desire.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
5. Set the cake pan aside and onto the cake.
6. Mix flour, baking powder, & salt in a small bowl and set aside.
7. Mix butter in a stand mixer until nice and smooth. Then add sugar and cream together until its nice and fluffy looking.
8. Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Add the rum and vanilla and mix well.
9. Add half the dry mixture and mix until combine.
10. add the pineapple juice and it might splatter so mix and lowest setting.
11. add the rest of the dry mix and mix well.
12. Pour over the pineapple caramel mix and spread over it very very carefully.
13. Put into the oven and bake for 40 to 45 mins. Check to make sure it is done by sticking a toothpick and making sure it comes out mostly clean. Let sit for 10 mins and run a knife around the edges and then flip.

1 comment:

  1. i've been craving this like crazy lately! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete